Metropolitan's Health Ministries department is pleased to invite you to its second annual health summit - Healthy Minds, Healthy Bodies: A NEW Start - on November 10 and 11. We have a weekend full of seminars, lectures and a health fair with FREE health screenings - all sponsored by the Adventist Health Care System. We are also extremely excited to present a concurrent set of seminars on Saturday for Spanish speakers! Keep reading for all of the details and register to attend the summit. It is very important that you register to ensure you get a meal, and that you get into your preferred sessions. There'll be lots of opportunities to win door prizes on Saturday!
The weekend starts on Saturday, November 10 at 9:15 a.m. Our keynote speaker will be Dr. M. Christopher Gibbons, currently the Chief Health Innovation Advisor at the Federal Communications Commission, and his presentation is Fake News in the Church. We will then move into our first set of seminars - for adults and teens - starting at 10:30 a.m.
- 10:30 - 11:00 a.m.: Dr. Marcellas Cephas, Alzheimer's Disease
- 11:00 - 11:30 a.m.: Dr. Judith Boyer Patrick, Into the Darkness [depression]
Teens (Fellowship Hall)
- 10:30 - 11:30 a.m.: Dr. Tonasha Johnson, Fully Known and Fully Loved: God's Prescription for Suicide Prevention
Dr. Gibbons will repeat his presentation - Fake News in the Church - during our 11:45 worship experience in the sanctuary.
Spanish-speaking attendees will meet in the Activity Center gym starting at 10:00 a.m. Their keynote speaker during the 11:00 a.m. worship experience is Dr. Adelaida Rosario, from the National Institutes of Health - Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities.
Both English and Spanish-speakers will meet in the Activity Center Banquet Hall for lunch from 1:30 p.m to 2:45 p.m., then we will move into our afternoon seminars / lectures; these will run from 3:00 - 4:30 p.m.. Attendees will be able to attend two of the listed seminars, and must indicate their preference on the registration form. Please register today!
Cancer Prevention - Dr. Marie-Therese Oyalowo
Healthy Eating - Dr. Joycelyn Peterson
Women's Heart Health - Dr. Naga Pannala
Cardiovascular Disease - Dr. Eric Krivitsky
Shameless Sex Talk Your Father Didn't Tell You About (Men's Sexual Health) - Dr. Pamela Coleman
Is it Him or Is it Me? Let's Talk about Women's Sexual Health - Dr. Vanessa McDonald
Breast Cancer - Dr. Cynthai Platé
Men's Sexual Health - TBD
Nutrition in Chronic Diseases - Blanca Meija, MS, CNS, LN
Type 2 Diabetes - Dr. Oswoldo Gonzalez
There is a program for children that will run from 3:00 to 3:45 p.m. All children are welcome. Please register now to attend the breakout sessions. Remember to look out for your opportunities to win door prizes during Saturday's events!
Our health fair takes place on Sunday, November 11, from 12:00 to 5:00 p.m. It's open to the entire family! We will be focusing on the NEW principles of the NEW START program (Nutrition, Exercise and Water).
- Nutrition consults
- Kids' cooking class
- Cooking demonstration for adults and free food samples
- Access to a personal fitness trainer
- Exercise activities for the entire family
- Does the Bible teach about water?
- Kids water activities
- Water around the world
- Flavored water - good or bad for you?
We would like to thank all of our sponsors and encourage you stop by their stations.
- Adventist HealthCare
- P.G. County Fire Department / EMS (Hands only CPR demo)
- LabCorp (lab testing)
- Optimum Health and Wellness
- Living Well (food samples)
- Nature’s Hype Granola (food samples)
- Hearing Healthcare Services (hearing screening)
- Community Ministry of Prince George's County (advance directives education)
- Washington Eye Institute (eye screening)
- Metropolitan Health Ministry Nurses (blood pressure, cholesterol and blood glucose testing)
We look forward to seeing you at our 2018 Health Summit - register today to secure a spot in the breakout sessions!